GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum

GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   Q and A (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Call Letters ???? (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1880)

Being Conformed 03-15-2008 01:23 PM

Call Letters ????

Okay, so gimme the basics (cliff notes please):

How do arrive at your 'call letters' 'user handle'?

What is the actual term to describe your 'handle' 'call letter'?

Why do some have 'W' and some 'K'?

:dontgetit: :dontgetit:

KC4UMO 03-15-2008 05:27 PM

After completion of an Amateur radio test (and pass) The FCC (Federal Communication Commission) assigns the call sign. Now the prefix letter is or was a designator of classification.
Novice = K 2x3
Technician = N 1x3
General and Advance = W 1x3 2x3
Extra class = A 2x1

My call is a 2x3 "KC4UMO"
The number is the call district.

I may be wrong on a couple of those. Been a while.

My Call starts with K. However It was the first call I got and never changed with the upgrades.

BTW, good to see you.

crazy 03-15-2008 06:06 PM

I remember a friend was into this many years ago. I could swear his # was KAKO1175. Maybe I am wrong, but that sounds so right. Whatdoya think?

Being Conformed 03-15-2008 11:49 PM

Thanks, Buddy! Nice to see you too. Not sure I completely understand it all.

I thought that each person got to make up the call letters kind of personalized like ppl do with license plates.

Crazy, not sure what you mean about the one you listed. I think this is not my territory - lol.

KI4RVH 03-16-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy (Post 15643)
I remember a friend was into this many years ago. I could swear his # was KAKO1175. Maybe I am wrong, but that sounds so right. Whatdoya think?

That sounds like an old CB callsign. They used to have to have callsigns. They all had 4 numbers at the end. Ours was like KCE4950 if I remember right. It was good for the whole family. That was like 25 years ago. Wow I'm gettin old!

73 (best regards)

Chris

crazy 03-16-2008 06:53 AM

That may be the case. I will have to stop and ask him, I have not seen the guy in a couple of years. I did not know that cb'ers used call signs. Thanks

K0DXC 03-16-2008 05:48 PM

Buddy just about got it right. Things are a bit different now though with the licensing changes though.

WV6Z 03-17-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Being Conformed (Post 15646)
I thought that each person got to make up the call letters kind of personalized like ppl do with license plates.

My, now wouldn that be fun! :)

KE6SHJ 03-17-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Aye. That is an old CB callsign. I remember my dads is KAIL-9306. Many many many moons over my hammy ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

KC4UMO 03-17-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Yep, old cb call sign from years ago. Mine was kade8859. Can not believe I still remember it.

And yep. I was a cb'er in my child hood :eyepop:

KF4FMT 06-25-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Being Conformed (Post 15634)

THIS might help.

KC4UMO 06-26-2008 07:46 AM

KF4FMT
Welcome to the site.

w8nsi 06-29-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Being Conformed (Post 15634)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 15641)
After completion of an Amateur radio test (and pass) The FCC (Federal Communication Commission) assigns the call sign. Now the prefix letter is or was a designator of classification.
Novice = K 2x3
Technician = N 1x3
General and Advance = W 1x3 2x3
Extra class = A 2x1

My call is a 2x3 "KC4UMO"
The number is the call district.

I may be wrong on a couple of those. Been a while.

My Call starts with K. However It was the first call I got and never changed with the upgrades.

BTW, good to see you.

Quote:

That KAKO call is a CB call near the end of when the FCC still assigned those.
I had one then KARK4820 and before that KNN2829.

Back in 1972 when I took my novice test (given by a friend WB8HRT, now W8ZP) I was assigned WN8NSI. All novice calls used to have N as the second letter in the prefix of the call. The first letter might be either a K or W at the time.

When I moved on to the Tech license, the FCC assigned me WB8NSI. The waiting was terrible, approximately a month for the license to arrive. We didn't have the internet then to be able to look at a FCC database to see what activity was on a call sign.

PS: I still have the original novice license. It was one of the cut and fold wallet licenses. I recently found it while digging through some papers. It is now safely stored away with my other important papers.

My call remained the same through upgrades of General Class and Advanced Class. In 1999 I checked the listings of available calls and found that the W8 version of my call was vacant (and had been since about 1953 I found out later) so I applied to the FCC for a vanity call of W8NSI (my current call sign). General Class and up are permitted 1x3 calls I believe. I have the Extra Class license and can get any of the 1x2, 2x1, or 2x2 calls that may be available.

My call W8NSI had been vacant since the 1950s. The previous holder of the call is now KI7BM, John Branch from Arizona. He contacted me to tell me the history of the W8NSI call.

Here is the link to a web page that lists calls that are in the vanity pool. Be sure to read the instructions at the top of the page because the calls are color coded by age and whether they are immediately available. A call must be vacant for 2 years before it becomes available. This link is for the 1x3 calls. By clicking the boxes at the top of the page you can select other list options.

http://www.radioqth.net/vanity/Avail1x3Prefix.aspx

73 de w8nsi jim