GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum

GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   Repeaters (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Repeater Usage (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1767)

K0DXC 02-18-2008 03:31 PM

Repeater Usage

How many of you regularly use repeaters?

I used to have a 2 meter radio on most of the time but I disconnected that long ago to make room for HF

WV6Z 02-18-2008 03:37 PM

I listen to a local machine in the mornings on my way home from work. There are a couple of guys I catch up with on there who are either on their way to work or are retired. Often there is as many as 6 or 7 of us on there in the mornings and it helps pass the time on the commute. I used to run 10m mobile also, but, until the band improves, it'll stay on the shelf out of the way for the moment.

K0DXC 02-18-2008 03:43 PM

Yes, most people I talk to are mobile on their way to work or the store

KI4RVH 02-20-2008 11:55 PM

I keep the local 2 meter machine on most of the time. Thats how I keep in touch with my local friends. If someone worked some good DX or 10 meters is open someone will usually jump in and let everyone else know. I also keep in touch with my wife on 2 meters on her way to work/home/etc.

Chris

:music334:

PS- I like all the smiley icons.

KC4UMO 02-21-2008 04:13 AM

I very seldom use repeaters anymore. Nothing against them. I guess by being a ex repeater owner I got enough of it.

I agree with the smiloes :)

K0DXC 02-22-2008 03:29 PM

Every club meeting we discuss how we are going to use a $10,000 donation made to us to buy 2 repeaters, we still always end up needing $3,000 more whichever way we look at it. Arguments can go on forever!!!!!

:argue:

KC8TCQ 07-25-2008 12:36 PM

I monitor the local repeaters, there are 3-4 of them here they get pretty regular use. SOme of the people on them include a Motorola Service Tech, a guy ho owns a radio/antenna installation/service company, two truck drivers that run a regular route from Chicago to Cleveland daily, and some locals who go for a 4-5 mile walk every day and take their HT's along for company.

I also monitor them during severe weather, and participate in a few emergency communications nets on VOIP. I am considering putting up either a 220 or a 6m repeater for the heck of it. Also we will be putting one of our local repeaters (housed here at the EOC) onto Echo/IRLP.

I also hang out on 10m SSB and 2m simplex.

WS2L 07-29-2008 07:06 AM

I regularly monitor the repeater belonging to the club I am a member of. I also do some simplex work on 2 meters but since my 13B2 is horizontally polarized I usually stick to the repeater.

W3QJ 08-08-2008 08:09 PM

Hardly ever

I used them some when I first go on the air. Lost interest in them after I got into CW. Sometimes when I travel out of town I'll scan around for one to yak on to find out a little about the town I'm in. I like 2m SSB and mostly CW on the HF bands.

KC8TCQ 08-11-2008 08:22 AM

I forgot to mention that when I travel, I'll look up the local repeater info and program them into my HT and/or mobile rig. It is kinda fun to talk to new hams in other areas, met some really great people in Raleigh NC over the radio last week.

KC4UMO 08-11-2008 08:39 AM

SInce my friend passed away I been monitoring the repeaters more while out mobile. Man it's a ghost town out there. Friday and saturday the only thing I heard on the local repeaters were the id's