GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum

GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   Open Chat (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   What's Your Occupation? (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=2053)

KF4FMT 08-21-2008 09:05 PM

What's Your Occupation?

I'll start:

I am an electrician by trade. Currently unemployed after another layoff 6 weeks ago. :streichel:

If I don't find something by the end of October, I will probably be going back to truck driving OTR as I did last year for a period of time. Not what I'd like to do, but not a lot of work around here right now.

:band: (An the band played on.)

KC4UMO 08-22-2008 05:56 AM

First , sorry to hear about the lay off.

I work for NACCO material Handling INC.
It is a manufactoring plant that build Hyster and Yale fork lifts.
For the past three years I have held the position as a QA tech.

crazy 08-22-2008 06:55 PM

For the past year, til May, I have been a heavy equipment mechanic, specializing in JLG Skytrak All Terrain 4 x 4 forklifts. Right now I am pipefitting, running sweat copper at a hospital in VA.

KB3LAZ 08-25-2008 07:40 PM

Student.

KC8TCQ 08-26-2008 07:10 AM

Retired firefighter, now working in Emergency Management. I have also been a semi professional musician since 1980.

AB9QU 08-28-2008 05:51 PM

I was an over the road trucker till I physically couldn't do it any more. Then I
read some books, went to Indianapolis and got certified to be an addiction counselor. So the last 8 years of work were in rehab units in hospitals. Retired now.

crazy 08-28-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB9QU (Post 16641)
I was an over the road trucker till I physically couldn't do it any more. Then I
read some books, went to Indianapolis and got certified to be an addiction counselor. So the last 8 years of work were in rehab units in hospitals. Retired now.

I have been through a 10 month rehab while incarcerated. For :chillpill1: I used it to get me out early, that was the only reason I took part. It was good, but I believe no one will change their lifestyle, any lifestyle, until they are ready. Court mandated rehab isn't as effective as voluntary, IMO anyway. I do not mean any disrespect to you or your occupation by any means. You have a much needed job, and you have my utmost respect. :smiley-faces57:

Thanx, crazy

AB9QU 08-29-2008 12:38 PM

There was a national treatment outfit that advertised that they could cure
addicts whether they wanted to recover or not. That was BS. Even the best programs have only about a 13% rate of recovery. However,If the person wants to change their life and stop using and is honest with their self and
follows a program, they will get better. At least the court ordered treatment
is an eye opener. I wish you well.

QUOTE=crazy;16644]I have been through a 10 month rehab while incarcerated. For :chillpill1: I used it to get me out early, that was the only reason I took part. It was good, but I believe no one will change their lifestyle, any lifestyle, until they are ready. Court mandated rehab isn't as effective as voluntary, IMO anyway. I do not mean any disrespect to you or your occupation by any means. You have a much needed job, and you have my utmost respect. :smiley-faces57:

Thanx, crazy[/quote]

crazy 08-29-2008 06:54 PM

Thanx. ;)

KF4FMT 09-02-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB9QU (Post 16641)

Who did you drive for and when did you last do it?

AB9QU 09-02-2008 11:32 PM

I drove for a lot of companies. Aero Liquid, Michigan Nebraska, Artim, Jack Gray
Owned my own in the 70s ,Gulf States and ended up with Howmet. Howmet
made turbine parts for aircraft engines and special parts for the space shuttles.
I stopped driving about 10 years ago. Sometimes I miss being on the road.
For 2 maybe 3 seconds.

K0DXC 09-03-2008 02:51 PM

I'm a student.

WV6Z 09-10-2008 01:23 AM

I'm a molder, that is to say a lifelong thermoplastic processor. Most of my career has been devoted to injection molding but I have also done thermoset, blow, extrusion and bi-axial orientation injection stretch blow molding (a dandy string of words which means I made peanut butter jars and Nyquil bottles).

I have worked in pretty much every position from machine operator to general manager over the past 32 years, but if asked, I call myself a process engineer as that’s what the sheep skin tagged me as being. I am currently a shift supervisor.

AB9QU 09-10-2008 01:44 PM

:bug: Anyone stir mortar with a fork or soak corks to put in wine bottles?

KC8TCQ 09-10-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV6Z (Post 16688)
bi-axial orientation

I always knew something wasn't right about you......

:smileybaby: