GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum

GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   DX Central (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Best/favorite DX (http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1803)

K0DXC 02-21-2008 04:13 PM

Best/favorite DX

What is your best or favorite DX contact?

Mine would probably be my first CW DX. It was a station in Cuba, CM6CAC. It wasn't my best, but my favorite.

This is because it was my first CW DX, I literally jumped out of my chair when I got a K0DXC 5NN BK. It was a moment I'll always remember.

What's your story?

WV6Z 02-21-2008 05:02 PM

Mine was one from about 10 years ago when I 'accidentally' worked my first Maritime Mobile station from Georgia. I had been chatting locally with a bunch of guys here in South Carolina on 10m and had swapped over to 20m and was spinning the dial....... there he was, in all his glory, an 'R' Maritime Mobile station calling CQ. It was AM gray line time for him, we exchanged 59 reports, 20 over each way and compared station conditions. As I was telling him my antenna was a 160m center fed dipole, I realized in fact it wasn't, it was an Antron 99 that I used for local chat on 10m. I swapped to the dipole, tuned and asked if that was any better and his answer was, "No, you are still 20 over S9."

After that, I knew I believed the tales I have heard about guys using light bulbs for antennas and actually making contacts. :icon_rolleyes:

KI4RVH 02-21-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV6Z (Post 15246)
Mine was one from about 10 years ago when I 'accidentally' worked my first Maritime Mobile station from Georgia. I had been chatting locally with a bunch of guys here in South Carolina on 10m and had swapped over to 20m and was spinning the dial....... there he was, in all his glory, an 'R' Maritime Mobile station calling CQ. It was AM gray line time for him, we exchanged 59 reports, 20 over each way and compared station conditions. As I was telling him my antenna was a 160m center fed dipole, I realized in fact it wasn't, it was an Antron 99 that I used for local chat on 10m. I swapped to the dipole, tuned and asked if that was any better and his answer was, "No, you are still 20 over S9."

After that, I knew I believed the tales I have heard about guys using light bulbs for antennas and actually making contacts. :icon_rolleyes:

I use an Antron 99 on 20 meters all the time. When I hear Dx I see which antenna I can hear it on the best. Lots of times I can hear 2 or 3 S units better on the Antron than I can on my 20 meter dipole. I've worked Europe and South America with it on 20. Now to be fair my Antron is about 15 ft higher than my dipole but I did work Ducie Island on 15 meters with it last week. I've been pretty impressed with that old Antron. And it was given to me for free so I can't complain.

Chris

KI4RVH 02-21-2008 10:30 PM

My first contact on HF was pretty cool. I was using a 25 watt Radio Shack 10 meter rig I had borrowed from a friend and a homemade dipole about 10 feet off the ground. I called cq and got a response from Omaha, Nebraska. I was tickled to death. I've had lots of contacts since then, but that first one is just so cool! I still have the QSL card up here on the wall!

Chris

N2RJ 03-09-2008 04:23 PM

My first "DX" contact was into the Grenada repeater to J39JT.

It was only 2 meters but I was glad I could contact the neighboring island on 2m.