View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road
Default elohim

elohim

God, gods, mighty, great, powerful, chief, judge, ruler

אל- "el": Strictly speaking, this word has a basic meaning of "mighty" (and it retains that meaning when used as an adjective), however, when used as a noun, it is a primary word that means "god."

אלהים - "elohim": The plural of "el." Since Hebrew, like many other languages, employs the "royal singular" (meaning it uses the PLURAL as a singular when referencing God or those in absolute power), elohim can mean "God" when speaking of the One True God, or "gods" when referencing false gods. This word is occasionally (I think twice) used of human judges from the idea that they are representing God and executing God's judgment, so when you appear before them, you are actually appearing before God.

Elohim is also applied occasionally to those who are speaking on behalf of the One True God (and could be applied to a prophet or angel in this manner), and to those who God has elevated so much in other people's eyes that they view that person with a sense of awe normally reserved only for God Himself.
  • Genesis 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD [Yahweh] God made earth and heaven.

Exodus 22:8 "If the thief is not caught, then the owner of the house shall appear before the judges, to determine whether he laid his hands on his neighbor's property. For every breach of trust, whether it is for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for clothing, or for any lost thing about which one says, 'This is it,' the case of both parties shall come before the judges; he whom the judges condemn shall pay double to his neighbor. - [this is probably more accurately translated "come before God" than "appear before the judges" on the idea that the judges are representing God and executing "God's judgment" not their own]

Genesis 31:30 "Now you have indeed gone away because you longed greatly for your father's house; but why did you steal my gods?"

Exo 12:12 'For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments--I am the LORD.

Psalm 82:6-7 I said, "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you will die like men And fall like any one of the princes."
Grace and peace,

Rhomphaia

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.