View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road
Default baptism - poured

Here are the root words for baptism, so that you can see their meaning.

bapto - To cover in a fluid, to dip something into a fluid. General root word used of any kind of dipping of something into a fluid. This word does NOT automatically mean the object is fully covered, but it can only be used of objects that are DIPPED into a liquid (the object is in motion, NOT the liquid). It is NOT used of objects that have a liquid poured on them. It occurs in three verses in the NT (it is never used of baptism, but is the root word for "baptidzo": to baptize).
  • John 13:26 Jesus then *answered, "That is the one for whom I shall dip the morsel and give it to him." So when He had dipped the morsel, He *took and *gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

Revelation 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Luke 16:24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'
Baptismos - To wash or cleanse by dipping in liquid. Used of ceremonial washing, but strictly speaking, does not reference Baptism (some lexicons list "baptism" as a possible translation, and some translations occasionally translate it "baptism," but that translation is incorrect. It means "to be washed or cleansed,' NOT "to be baptised" and is never used of baptism)".

Occurs 3 times in the NT:
  • For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands, holding to the tradition of the elders, and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other traditions that they observe, such as the washing of cups and pots and copper vessels and dining couches. (Mark 7:3-4)

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about cleansings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)

By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age). According to this arrangement, gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper, but deal only with food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until the time of reformation. (Hebrews 9:8-10)
Both Hebrews references above are translated "baptisms" in some translations, but that is completely incorrect. Both of these verses are about ceremonial and spiritual cleansing, NOT about baptism.

These are the actual words for baptism (first is the verb, second is the noun).

baptidzo - To ceremonially immerse a person, to ceremonially submerge a person. This word is ONLY used of people, and always references baptism. It occurs 61 times in the NT, and not ONE of them imply that water was POURED on the person being baptized.

baptisma means "ceremonial submersion of a person." Submersion does NOT happen when water is poured onto something, only when something is dipped into water. It occurs 22 times in the NT.

The root words mean to submerge or to dip. NOT ONE TIME are they ever used of "pouring" a liquid onto something. Not one occurance of baptisma or baptidzo in the NT implies that the liquid was POURED onto the person being baptized.

Further, despite your claims above, neither baptisma nor baptidzo appear in the septuagint, so one cannot point to that translation as altering their meaning.

However, even when we look at the related words that derive from the these words that do appear in the Septuagint, not ONE of them ever implies that the liquid is poured ONTO an object:

Bapteiv (derived from bapto)- "to drop into, to dip, to plunge"

Occurs 17 times in the Septuagint. Here is a sampling of how it is used:
  • Exodus 12:22 Take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and touch the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin. None of you shall go out of the door of his house until the morning

Leviticus 4:6 and the priest shall dip his finger in the blood and sprinkle part of the blood seven times before the LORD in front of the veil of the sanctuary.

Deuteronomy 33:24 And of Asher he said, "Most blessed of sons be Asher; let him be the favorite of his brothers, and let him dip his foot in oil.

Job 9:31 yet you will plunge me into a pit, and my own clothes will abhor me.

Psa 68:23 That your foot may be dipped in the blood of your enemies, and the tongue of your dogs in the same.
baptidzeiv (derived from baptidzo)- "to dip ceremonially, to ceremonially submerge in liquid - symbolically, to be completely overwhelmed by something"

This word occurs twice in the Septuagint:
  • 2 Kings 5:14 Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.

Isaiah 21:4 My mind reels, horror overwhelms me [literally: "completely submerged into horror"]; The twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling.
Note, that not in one single instance are ANY of these words used in a fashion that would justify "pouring liquid onto something" as a translation. In every case, the object was dipped INTO something, or was completely covered by the liquid.

There are completely different words in Greek for "pouring liquid onto or over something."

ekcheo - to make wet by pouring, to shower liquid onto something, to rain. Used 31 times in the NT, never of baptism. Used of the Holy Spirit being poured out onto people, of blood pouring out of a wound, of liquid poured out of bowls, of a person's intestines pouring out of their stomach, and of money being poured onto the ground.

brecho - to wet, to moisten, to make wet by any means. Occurs 8 times in the NT, never used of baptism. Used of objects being made wet by rain, and of feet being made wet by tears.

Bottom line: your entire case that baptisma or baptidzo can be used of pouring water (or any liquid) ONTO someone is completely without ANY support in either the NT or the Septuagint. You can think that some of the instances "could" be interpreted to mean "pouring water" all you want, but you are ALWAYS reading into the text. Not ONE verse actually implies that water was poured. These words mean to be dipped into or submerged under something.

I looked up every single occurance of all the words in both the NT and the Septuagint, and not ONE supported your claim.

Grace and peace to you,

Rhomphaia

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.