View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road
Default iniquity (Matthew 7:23)

Quote:
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Some say that the Greek there in the bolded word says 'lawlessness'. They take that to mean that we're still under the law. What's the deal?
Well, they are partly right. The word does literally mean "illegal" or "lawless" or "violation of the law." However, John defines this for us:

Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness (1 John 3:4)

In other words, "sin is lawlessness" means that the word "sin" and the word "lawlessness" are used as synonyms in scripture. Every single time you sin, you are also being lawless.

This does NOT really have anything to do with the law. You see, John says the solution to the problem of sin is NOT in keeping the law, but rather:

No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. (1 John 3:6)

Notice that this bolded part is another way of stating what Jesus said in Matthew 7:23.

BTW, this "no one who sins" is "no one who is engaging in continuous, ongoing sinning" as opposed to "no one who sins, ever." Again, this is a function of the heart, NOT a reference to "any sin that one EVER commits." Those who engage in continuous, ongoing, unrepentant sin have a very hard heart, are not His children, and He will tell them this when they come before Him in the day of judgment.

So this is NOT about being under the law, but about seeking God's grace.

Grace and peace to you,

Rhomphaia

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.