View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Team Moderator

Radio Tech is on a distinguished road

And Greetings to you Handy Andy. I am honored that you chimed in. And please do so when ever you can.

I agree on what you said there. Equipment is very expensive. And when on a budget, make the best of what you have.

I am very old school myself. Not very educated at that. So you want hear me using a lot of big words Back in the day my work bench consist of a analog volt meter, (have to check those capacitors and transistors) soldering iron, and a SSB 23 channel radio as a test rig. I took the SSB rig to a well known cb shop and had it tuned and aligned. When tuning a am rig I switch the test radio to ssb and zero beat the signal to get the thing on frequency. That was the only thing I had back then to use as a frequency standard. I later converted and old RCA co-pilot (PLL 02A) to a signal generator.

Times have really changed since then. I will post a pic of my work bench again one day. But well after it is cleaned up. Now my benches contain (3) B&K 2040 signal generators, Sencore CB 42, IFR 1200S service monitor, Motorola frequency/ auto tune deviation tone test rig, B&K 1801 and Heath 2410 frequency counters, Bell & howell scope, Kenwood SM 22- station monitor, and a Sencore SC61 scope. HP 3400RMS volt meter plus countless more pieces of test equipment.

But, all this is not needed for CB repair. I also repair business band radio and ham radio. Anyone can become a decent repair tech if you stick with the basics, ei find what does work. Process by elimination.

Anyway, I am just an old country boy guys. Took a look in my first Cb radio when I was 12. I will do my best to work along with you guys to make this thread a learning experience.