View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

KC4UMO is on a distinguished road

Thanks guy's,
Much appreciated.

I am not the man
That would be Joe K3SZH. He has made over 5881 contacts via AO-7.
Now he is the man! :D

Not sure how much you all know about AO-7 but it is the oldest working amateur bird in space. And has a long history. Put up in 1974 and fell dead in 1981.

Some history:

About AO-7
AO-7 was the seventh OSCAR (Orbiting Satellite Carrying Amateur Radio) satellite to be launched since the inception of the OSCAR program. AMSAT-OSCAR 7 built by a multinational team under the direction of AMSAT-NA and was launched November 15, 1974 from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Lompoc, California. AO-7 carries two working linear transponders, one in Mode A (145.850-950 MHz uplink; 29.400-500 MHz downlink) and another in Mode B (432.180-120 MHz uplink; 145.920-980 MHz downlink). It also containst two working beacons on 29.502 and 145.972 MHz. A third beacon on 435.1 MHz has been reportedly heard sporatically, and a fourth beacon on 2304.1MHz was never turned on.

In mid 1981 AO-7 ceased operation due to battery failures. It was thought at that time that the batteries had shorted. However on June 21, 2002 Pat Gowen, G3IOR reported hearing AO-7s 2m beacon. After the news was relayed through AMSAT bulletin boards, several more hams monitored the satellite.

AO-7 continues to operate continuously, albeit a bit whimsical. After emerging from an eclipse AO-7 may turn on in one of four modes. Mode A and Mode B are shown above, and Mode C is a low power version of Mode B. Mode D is a beacon only mode. It is impossible to distinguish between Modes B and C, although in the short time I have been using AO-7 I think I have heard it twice because there was a noticeable decrease in signal strength from normally strong signals.

More technical information about AO-7 can be found in the useage page shown above, and at the AMSAT Satellite Summary page for AO-7 at http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satel...ummary/ao7.php.

KC4UMO

My Web Site