GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Walk With Faith > Gods Word
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Christ-Mass

We have two holy festivals declared by the Catholic Church.

March 25 - Feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

And exactly nine months later ….

December 25 – Christmas (Christ Mass)

Since we know that our Lord and Savior was not born during the winter solstice ……………
Who’s “christ” is Christ-Mass celebrating??????

Jeremiah 10
1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
6 Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
7 Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.
8 But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock (tree) is a doctrine of vanities.

Can you take these pagan practices and turn them into a Christian thing?

Deuteronomy 7
25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God.
26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.

Now you may say, “Wait a minute. That’s talking about not taking the gold and silver off a pagan idol and bring it into your house. We don’t take gold and silver from a pagan idol and decorated our tree with it.

Fair enough. After all, I’m sure your tree is not decorated with actual gold and silver, but is an imitation of gold and silver.
So, I guess it is OK just to “imitate” a pagan ritual without actually using the substance from an actual idol itself.

Or is it?

Deuteronomy 12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God:

Here’s a group of folks that thought it would be cool to worship GOD like the other nations worshipped their gods. After all, some of their worshiping practices were kinda neat!!!
But God said we should not do so.

Put Christ back in Christmas
Why? He was never part of pagan idolatry to begin with.

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 AM
Administrator

Kinda neat, huh?!!!!
Oooooo Awwwww!!!!

Let's do this too and slap the name of our GOD on it!
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Platinum

JADE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can you take these pagan practices and turn them into a Christian thing?
Interesting read, and yes I can. Because everything is of God and I give praise to all that is God. I don't worship the tree and it is not a representation or idol of a god or God. But God created it and it is only an adornment.

I know you have a strong belief against these things and I have a weak belief for these things.(if I don't wish to put up a tree, its of no real importance to me, if I do, its of no real significance of my Christian belief) It is no different than to dress up a bit nicer when one goes to Church. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

But the attack against Christians is why there is an attack against Christmas. And while I accept that many of the silly things we see that some folks think represent Christians at Christmas don't, it is the attack that I resent.

If you are truly against Christmas and all the trappings, then I expect you are also against the symbol of the Cross. It does not represent Christ or Christians. If anything, it represents the murder of our Lord. If he were hung by a rope, would we have the noose as our symbol of how they killed our Lord?

So I understand and respect what you are saying and what you believe. I'm not even trying to say that what I believe is correct, because I accept that being just a man, I am prone to missunderstanding what the Word really says.

But I question what I think God is saying to me and I really question what man says to me. :nond

I question....therefore I think....I think....therefore I am....I think?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Invisible_2_no1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Invisible_2_no1

So I guess the bigger question would be, do we just accept it, do we reject it, or do we tolerate it.

Why?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Mom
So I guess the bigger question would be, do we just accept it, do we reject it, or do we tolerate it.

Why?
Good question and one I truly have no absolute answer to. I can only do what I feel God is directing me to do, both in his Word and in the spirit he sends through me. So the best answer I can come up with is, a little bit of everything.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Jade,

Thanks for your honest thoughts. We need more of that instead of just saying what we think everyone wants us to say.
Love ya brother!!

Trust me, I don't get all bent out of shape because people celebrate Christmas or have a Christmas tree. It's a decission each individual has to make, and that decission should be from the heart and not because of what others think of them.

For me, personally, I get a little more uncomfortable each year I study this.
But that's just me. If you invited me over for Christmas dinner, I would not stomp out of your home screeming that you are a heretic because you had a Christmas tree!!!!!

For this thread I am just sharing some of the reasons that make me uncomfortable.

The real question each individual should ask is:
Do I celebrate Christmas because that's what most Christians do? Or, do I celebrate Christmas because I REALLY believe it is a legitimate religious festival of the true Christ?
Have Christians really tried to look into this Christmas stuff????

Old 12-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Who tried to make Christmas “Christian”?????

Before Pope Pius XII’s liturgical reform, the celebration of the Mass was forbidden, except on Christmas night.

Quote:
In the Apostolic Constitution Christus Dominus (1953) and the Motu Propio Sacram Communionem (1957) Pius XII permitted the celebration of Mass at other times.
That’s how “Christmas” got it’s name – Christ Mass.

Keep in mind that Mass is the Catholic celebration of the Eucharistic.

Quote:
emphasis mine:

The Council of Trent reaffirmed traditional teaching that the Mass is not just a recreation of the Last Supper, or a memorialization of the institution of the Holy Eucharist, but rather the same Sacrifice of Calvary offered in an unbloody manner: "The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross ; only the manner of offering is different. And since in this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and offered in an unbloody manner... this sacrifice is truly propitiatory"
- (Doctrina de ss. Missae sacrificio, c. 2, quoted in Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1367).
Does that sound like it is the “birth” of Christ being celebrated????

So, where did all this celebration of “birth” come from???
Same place – the Catholic Church.

The apostles never celebrated it, so it was not a tradition started by the early church.
In fact, there is no mention of any early church celebrating it until the 4th century.
Constantine kept this “feast of the nativity” to keep the pagan festival. He slapped on the name of Christ, and said, “There, now both Christians and pagans will be happy.”
His intentions may have been noble to unite the people and keep the peace. But I am reminded of a quote:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Just another step in the plan of anti-christ to unite the world under a religion that will satisfy all. A way to unite, instead of separating as God told us to do.

Yuletide is a pagan sabbat (Sabbath) which occurs at the Winter Solstice.

There are some pagan myths that originate from Christian stories. Such as Noah’s flood.
There are lots of distortions of this story that developed over time in different cultures, but the original story was from God.

But Christmas did not originate this way.
The “feast of the nativity” started long before the birth of Christ happened. It was a festival celebrating the birth (actually reincarnation, of the sun god) and had been celebrated on the Winter Solstice long before Jesus came in the flesh.
It’s origin is not Jewish or Christian. It is strictly pagan.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Platinum

Quote:
For me, personally, I get a little more uncomfortable each year I study this.
But that's just me.
I hear ya and I do also. But I look at the enjoyment I got from Christmas when I was a child and don't want to take it from other children because I have learned more. Sometimes I think as we learn more about things we are too quick to want to "save" others from some of our own mistakes or silly beliefs. And in doing so we steal from them some of the childlike ways that God so loves.

So to me its a no harm no foul attitude and I'll continue feeding the milk to those that are not quite ready for the meat. And if those that can handle the meat get a bit of milk splashed on them, I'm sure they'll get over it or even enjoy a slight or temporary change of diet. Cuz milk will do a body good. :thup2

Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum

Quote:
It is strictly pagan.
You may be totally correct. But Jesus came to save all mankind, even the pagans. And frankly, at least a pagan believes in something whereas atheist don't believe in anything. If Christmas is taken away or belittled by Christians also(even if rightfully so), the atheists win.

Jesus is the reason for ALL seasons. :jum

Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Platinum

Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Buzzard

By it fruits ye shall know

lets judge Christmas by its fruits

can anyone anywhere give me just one example of it bearing good fruits
[ ] Yes
[ ] No

I can give several examples of "Bad" Fruits
Old 12-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Children really like Christmas! They really like Halloween too.

Their eyes are full of wonder when the lights come on that glorious tree!!!
Very pleasant to the eyes. We think of it as harmless.

There was a tree that Eve thought was pleasant to the eyes also.
  • Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
And Satan very subtly convinced her that the tree would not really be harmful to her.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

We may tell our children that Christmas is really about Christ.
But who do you think they are REALLY looking forward to at Christmas?
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Matthew 18
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7 Woe unto the world because of offenses! for it must needs be that offenses come; but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh!

For those interested:
Here’s a nice link that discusses the origin of Santa in the different cultures and the effects it has on children.
It’s long and has photos.

http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/santa.html

The thing I like the most about the link is how it uses scripture to turn the Santa figure into a Christ-like figure. (Just like we try to rationalize a pagan festival into a Christian festival).

For example:

The most common images we give our children of Santa:

Santa has snow white hair (Rev 1:14).
Santa dressed in red (Isaiah 63:2).
Santa has always existed (the ancient of days - no beginning, no end).
Santa sees and knows who has been good (Proverbs 15:3).
Santa rewards those that believe in him.
Santa coming down the chimney (Rev 1:15).
Santa’s house in the North Pole (Eze. 8:14).
Santa says Ho Ho Ho (Zec 2:6, Isa 55:1).
Santa loves little children to come to him (Mark 10:13-14).
etc…

Who do we know that tries the hardest to be the great imitator of GOD?

Quote from the link:

Quote:
If the Christian world had, even a small drop of the faith the average child has in Santa – we’d have revival overnight!

Have we brought up our children with the notion that Satan, I mean Santa, is God-like?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

Being Conformed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Being Conformed

Sissy, get the impression you don't celebrate Christmas :elff

That's cool!

What's his name (JADE pretty much summed up how I feel give or take.

Christ died for all (even the athiests). Sissy, I think you were the one who said it was a heart matter and I agree. I like the posts made by DB and J???321??? at that 'other' place. I see it as a great time to witness - so many ppl show up for church on Christmas and Easter and actually 'hear' the gospel.

I don't have links to provide you I have a tree ornament and it speaks of it as being 'evergreen to indicate the eternal life with Christ' and the lights being the light of the world... Santa - St. Nick - supposedly an abbreviated form for a Danish/Swedish pronounciation. Candy canes represent the blood of Jesus and the Cleansing of our sins.....

I too have more convictions each year and perhaps that is the Holy Spirit growing us up also the season has become so commerical and about sales and shopping - now those in themselves can be idols, as can decorating...

As Christians we are called to celebrate Christ every day seems like at times some of us reserve it for Christmas and Easter to go the extra mile.

Last year was the first Christmas w/o my mom who had died in Sept. with both parents deceased and being single and alienated from my sibs - I felt such self pity, lonely, grief I still had God though. This is an opportunity for me to get of my duff and go and feed the hungry and visit ppl who are lonely - so God does Romans 8:28! :thup2

Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Administrator

It is a heart issue.
Romans 14 tells us that this should not separate us as Christian brothers and sisters.
Like I said before, I don't get all bent out of shape because someone celebrates Christmas.

But I do think that many Christians have not looked into the origin of this holiday. This thread a just a way bring knowledge to some who may have never been aware of this.
I'm not posting this thread to make anyone feel guilty or suggest that they are not Christian.
And at the same time, I don't want anyone to think I don't care deeply for our Lord because I no longer wish to celebrate in this manner.

It's been a process for me over the years to let go of it little by little. Each year I look into it a little more, and each year I get more uncomfortable with it. It got to where I would look around my home and all the stuff just reminded me of the pagan practices I had reasearched and I began to question whether my motive for doing such was mostly because of habit.
And of course, the commercialization of the holiday just got way out of hand.

And I like your idea. I think giving to the needy would be much more Christian than wasting money on decorations and another tie for Dad!!!!

God bless you,
Sissy

Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Invisible_2_no1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Invisible_2_no1

Christmas time is when alot of lukewarm Christians (that don't otherwise really go to church, study God's Word, or celebrate with other believers) go to hear the Christmas story at a place of worship.

I always hope and pray that some seeds of truth were planted, that something warmed their heart to God's love for them individually and that they will see past the lights and the glitter to the humble beginnings of our Savior.