GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Online Hamfest > Equipment reviews
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Bronze

KB3LAZ is on a distinguished road
Default Ic 7000

Well I have had the 7000 for around 2 1/2 years now and so far so good.
I really enjoy the adjustable filter widths and the on board EQ(if thats what you would call it). It has a remarkable receiver with a very low noise floor. I always get great audio reports even with the stock hand mic. The menu system is much more simplistic in design than that of the 706. If you match it up with the LDG AT-7000 it is truly a splendid jewel.

Now let us review the flaws, and they are as follows.
It tends to get a little hot, no big deal, its not meltdown hot.
I dont like the fact that the swr meter does not function on vhf/uhf.
Last but not least, the rig will not achieve full output capability with the compressor turned off.

In my opinion the pros out weigh the cons by far. It is a really nice rig in a good price range. I also feel that it puts it competition to shame as well as a few base radios. However that is just my opinion so take it or leave it as they say.

Would I buy it all over again? In a new york minute. Actually I going to buy one to put in the car.

I would rate it a 4.8 out of 5! And in my book there are no perfect radios.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM

W3QJ is on a distinguished road
Default Another fine radio, the IC7000

The 7000 does well for such a small radio. Indeed it's a fine radio. Some weeks the 7000 gets more use than my 910H, PROIII, or 7700. The more I use it, the more I like it. I keep telling people I don't care who makes a radio as long as it does what I want for what I want to pay. But, with 4 different models of Icoms and one Yaesu 7800R, it looks like I'm partial to Icom. Oh well.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 AM

Default Ic7000 & Ts2000

Has anyone here compared the DSP performance of the Kenwood TS2000 to the Icom IC7000? I'm going to replace my IC910H with something, and was considering another IC7000 or the TS2000. I've heard various model Kenwoods on the bands in various modes and they always sounded good to me. I know there's a lot of TS2000's in service out there. Hope folks won't mind expressing there opinions and experiences on these two radios.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road

I run a 2000 and I love it! The filtering is great. I've not played with a 7000 yet so I couldn't tell you how they compare. I've got a friend with a 7000 and he sounds great on the air with it. I've been meaning to get over to his shack and check it out. When I do I'll give a full report.

Chris
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5eh View Post
Has anyone here compared the DSP performance of the Kenwood TS2000 to the Icom IC7000? I'm going to replace my IC910H with something, and was considering another IC7000 or the TS2000. I've heard various model Kenwoods on the bands in various modes and they always sounded good to me. I know there's a lot of TS2000's in service out there. Hope folks won't mind expressing there opinions and experiences on these two radios.
I believe the 2000 has a 16 bit analog AF stage dsp.
The 7000 has dual 32 bit AF/IF stage dsp's, granted one is for the display.
Having run both radios I would say that the 7000 wins hands down, however there is what a 10 year technological gap between the two radios. Dont get me wrong the 2000 is a great radio and does have a few advantages over the 7000, size, sky command, and wattage. Then the 2000 has its flaws as well, for example it is deaf on 2m 70cm without the preamp on, unless you are really close or have one heck of an antenna. Which ever you choose you will be happy with the overall performance.

I have a question though, why replace the 910?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
I believe the 2000 has a 16 bit analog AF stage dsp.
The 7000 has dual 32 bit AF/IF stage dsp's, granted one is for the display.
Having run both radios I would say that the 7000 wins hands down, however there is what a 10 year technological gap between the two radios. Dont get me wrong the 2000 is a great radio and does have a few advantages over the 7000, size, sky command, and wattage. Then the 2000 has its flaws as well, for example it is deaf on 2m 70cm without the preamp on, unless you are really close or have one heck of an antenna. Which ever you choose you will be happy with the overall performance.

I have a question though, why replace the 910?
Well, thanks for the reply Travis. I found a used TS2000LE, and should have it hopefully by the end of this coming week. The 910H's I had were decent radios for what they were. My PROIII, and 7700 are my go to HF radios. I seldom operate FM on the VHF or UHF ham bands, and I don't listen to it. If I do operate 2m/70cm its sideband. I've spent a lot of time on the road in the last 3 months, and my 7000 has got more use than any other radio I have. The 910H's never get powered up any more. The last time I was home I turned one on to get on a 2m SSB round table I enjoy when I'm home. I was astonished in the difference that the 7000's DSP made in its rcvr vs the 910H's not having it. The differences were not subtle to me. The 7000 was so much better. When I first got the 910H's months earlier, I immediately installed the CR293 hi stab xtal osc's and the audio UT106's in both of them. I also checked the alignment of both 910 xcvrs on the bench with the specs provided in the OEM service manuals. Of course most OEM alignment specs are just baseline adjustments. But although I could have, I wasn't motivated to fiddle with any fine tweaks in the 910H's. I'm not the type that likes to count the pieces of salt on a pretzel if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, like most all things I do, I believe what I see. I'll ask an opinion here and there, but ultimately there's no substitute for having the article in question in hand. And, when I get the TS2000, I'll see how she does. But thanks for your help and friendly reply.

Talk to ya' later Travis. Take care, and take it easy.

Terry
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5eh View Post
Well, thanks for the reply Travis. I found a used TS2000LE, and should have it hopefully by the end of this coming week. The 910H's I had were decent radios for what they were. My PROIII, and 7700 are my go to HF radios. I seldom operate FM on the VHF or UHF ham bands, and I don't listen to it. If I do operate 2m/70cm its sideband. I've spent a lot of time on the road in the last 3 months, and my 7000 has got more use than any other radio I have. The 910H's never get powered up any more. The last time I was home I turned one on to get on a 2m SSB round table I enjoy when I'm home. I was astonished in the difference that the 7000's DSP made in its rcvr vs the 910H's not having it. The differences were not subtle to me. The 7000 was so much better. When I first got the 910H's months earlier, I immediately installed the CR293 hi stab xtal osc's and the audio UT106's in both of them. I also checked the alignment of both 910 xcvrs on the bench with the specs provided in the OEM service manuals. Of course most OEM alignment specs are just baseline adjustments. But although I could have, I wasn't motivated to fiddle with any fine tweaks in the 910H's. I'm not the type that likes to count the pieces of salt on a pretzel if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, like most all things I do, I believe what I see. I'll ask an opinion here and there, but ultimately there's no substitute for having the article in question in hand. And, when I get the TS2000, I'll see how she does. But thanks for your help and friendly reply.

Talk to ya' later Travis. Take care, and take it easy.

Terry
So true, I am the same way.
Opinions are a great starting point but I like to make the final decision myself.
Also I am glad you gave me the preview on the 910, I have thought about buying one, but I cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on a dual band radio.