GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Walk With Faith > Spiritual Chat (Christian Only)
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Invisible_2_no1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Invisible_2_no1
Default Gen. 4:26

Ge*4:26
And to Seth, to him also there was born a son;
and he called his name Enos:
then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

Monkey wrenches...gotta throw them in there once and awhile.

Enos means;
mortal man; sick; despaired of; forgetful

Okay Bullingers says this verse, esp. "then began" means that men DID not follow Adam, Enos went the way of Cain. The men were separated from the followers of Jehovah. This is in conflict of all my other sources.

Anyone want to shed some light? Or have anymore explanation as to why Bullinger thought this?

If Seth replaced Abel and the seedline was to be 'pure' again...what in the world happened to Enos?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Dan Bittleston is on a distinguished road

Here is something I found interesting along this line.

John Wesley's Notes on the Bible
Ge 4:26
Verse 26. And to Seth was born a son called Enos, which is the general name for all men, and speaks the weakness, frailty, and misery of man's state. Then began men to call upon the name of the Lord - Doubtless God's name was called upon before, but now,

1. The worshippers of God began to stir up themselves to do more in religion than they had done; perhaps not more than had been done at first, but more than had been done since the defection of Cain. Now men began to worship God, not only in their closets and families, but in public and solemn assemblies.

2. The worshippers of God began to distinguish themselves: so the margin reads it. Then began men to be called by the name of the Lord, or, to call themselves by it. Now Cain and those that had deserted religion had built a city, and begun to declare for irreligion, and called themselves the sons of men. (Gen 6:2) Those that adhered to God began to declare for him and his worship, and called themselves the sons of God.

YBIC
Dan Bittleston
Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ:.....that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel
Old 12-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Stan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Mom
Ge*4:26
And to Seth, to him also there was born a son;
and he called his name Enos:
then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

Monkey wrenches...gotta throw them in there once and awhile.

Enos means;
mortal man; sick; despaired of; forgetful

Okay Bullingers says this verse, esp. "then began" means that men DID not follow Adam, Enos went the way of Cain. The men were separated from the followers of Jehovah. This is in conflict of all my other sources.

Anyone want to shed some light? Or have anymore explanation as to why Bullinger thought this?

If Seth replaced Abel and the seedline was to be 'pure' again...what in the world happened to Enos?

Be careful, Just_A_Mom.

That's not exactly what Bullinger said.

He does mention that the Hebrew expresses "Not began to worship: for Able worshipped and others doubless, long before. (we see this in Ables offering to God and in Adam and Eve's words too) But here: "began to worship [other gods] by the name of Yahveh, or, "began profanely to call upon the name of the Yahveh".

When we look up the Hebrew, Bullinger is correct.

But

Where in that verse does it say that Enos went the way of Cain? Bullinger said it, but does the scripture?

Bullinger is right about the Hebrew expression of "profaning the name of Yahveh."

And it's unusual for him not to give a side margin note of the KJV where the word "men" is used. As I'm looking at it in the Hebrew, it's because the word "men" is not in the MS in that verse.

The other thing Bullinger failed to catch or mention is the word "then". It expresses "eleswhere was the name of Yahveh profaned".

That's completely different than saying that Enos went the "way of Cain"

Do you think that God would have "appointed another seed" in Able's stead just to have it polluted in the next generation?

Green's Interlinear Bible...

And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son. And she called his name Seth, for God has appointed me another seed in place of Able, because Cain killed him. And a son was born to Seth, and he called his name Enos.

Then it say's...

"Then was it begun to call on the name of Yahveh"

Followed by....

"This is the generations of Adam... etc, etc,,

So after Seth had Enos, "then elswhere was the name of Yahveh profaned."

Bullinger got it wrong in saying that Enos "went the way of Cain." The scripture doesn't say it, nor does it imply it.

Good question though.

:thup2
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Invisible_2_no1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Invisible_2_no1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Be careful, Just_A_Mom.

That's not exactly what Bullinger said.
Which is WHY I asked the question because what HE did say, confused me.

Quote:
He does mention that the Hebrew expresses "Not began to worship: for Able worshipped and others doubless, long before. (we see this in Ables offering to God and in Adam and Eve's words too) But here: "began to worship [other gods] by the name of Yahveh, or, "began profanely to call upon the name of the Yahveh".
Call me slow.

So is this implying where "other" religions come in?

Was Enos calling on God but doing it in a profane, or different way then taught by Adam?

Quote:
When we look up the Hebrew, Bullinger is correct.

But

Where in that verse does it say that Enos went the way of Cain? Bullinger said it, but does the scripture?
No.

Every other source I have contradicts what Bullinger said, which is why I am questioning his comment here.

Quote:
Bullinger is right about the Hebrew expression of "profaning the name of Yahveh."

And it's unusual for him not to give a side margin note of the KJV where the word "men" is used. As I'm looking at it in the Hebrew, it's because the word "men" is not in the MS in that verse.
I don't have a Greens so I can only look it up with Strong's links on my computer.

What does "MS" in that verse mean?

Quote:
The other thing Bullinger failed to catch or mention is the word "then". It expresses "eleswhere was the name of Yahveh profaned".

That's completely different than saying that Enos went the "way of Cain"
My side note quotes all the above that you did but I also have this;

Quote:
(see Ap. 21) Enos, though the son of Seth, is included here becasue he went in "the way of Cain".
What exactly is the "way of Cain" I ask myself?

Well, Cain believed in God, didn't he? I mean, he talked with him, he had to have heard stories from dad about how dad and mom walked with God in the Garden.

So Cain went his own way, he put himself in place of God? He honored himself, instead of God? He still knew God existed, like satan, but he chose his way instead of God's way.

So did Enos do the same?

Did Enos introduce a "different" type of worship?

How did he profanely call upon the Lord? What or how did he change what his parents and grandparents did? Was it influence again of the old snake? Was it uncle Cain's influence of doing things differently? Did he even have contact with Cain and his family?

See, I need more explanation. Which is why I posed my question.

Quote:
Do you think that God would have "appointed another seed" in Able's stead just to have it polluted in the next generation?
Well, the world pollutes, indirectly, with its influence, which is why we are in the mess we are in this age.

Seth most obviously had other sons, but Enos is mentioned. Why?

Enos the only black sheep of the family and the rest were all good lambies?

Quote:
Green's Interlinear Bible...

And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son. And she called his name Seth, for God has appointed me another seed in place of Able, because Cain killed him. And a son was born to Seth, and he called his name Enos.

Then it say's...

"Then was it begun to call on the name of Yahveh"

Followed by....

"This is the generations of Adam... etc, etc,,

So after Seth had Enos, "then elswhere was the name of Yahveh profaned."
Elsewhere being left out changes the whole concept of why ENOS is mentioned followed by the note, 'he went in the way of Cain'.

So why "elsewhere" and how did you come to that conclusion?

I don't mean to argue, I'm trying to understand.

:hep2

Quote:
Bullinger got it wrong in saying that Enos "went the way of Cain." The scripture doesn't say it, nor does it imply it.

Good question though.

:thup2
Well, if Bullinger was wrong, and he's allowed to make mistakes...we all make them, I wondering how he got this one they way that he did...? Because to me it contradicts.

Just trying to catch the loop holes and make everything flow together nicely.

If it doesn't, then I need more study.