GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Over The Air > Elmers Forum
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM

KJ4BRI is on a distinguished road
Default Odd noise with FT-1802

I have an FT-1802M installed in an 01 Isuzu Trooper. I installed it in place of a cheap Radio Shack scanner. (same antenna wire) The Radio Shack scanner never had any ignition noise. I ran the power wires directly to the battery, (and later added a 60amp alternator noise filter).

The noise is only present on frequencies in which I can transmit. For instance if I tune in the state police on 159.000mhz there isn't any noise. If I tune in 146.91mhz I get noise both when the squelch has been broken and when it hasn't been broken. In both cases the noise is a buzzing that increases with engine speed. The noise is much louder when the squelch has been broken.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tad
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ4BRI View Post
I have an FT-1802M installed in an 01 Isuzu Trooper. I installed it in place of a cheap Radio Shack scanner. (same antenna wire) The Radio Shack scanner never had any ignition noise. I ran the power wires directly to the battery, (and later added a 60amp alternator noise filter).

The noise is only present on frequencies in which I can transmit. For instance if I tune in the state police on 159.000mhz there isn't any noise. If I tune in 146.91mhz I get noise both when the squelch has been broken and when it hasn't been broken. In both cases the noise is a buzzing that increases with engine speed. The noise is much louder when the squelch has been broken.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tad
Tad,

What kind of antenna are you using? What kind of mount? (mag mount, NMO?) How is the antenna grounded? We had to run a ground wire from the antenna on a friends vehicle directly to the frame. Did you connect the negative wire directly to the battery as well? How did you connect it to the battery? Let us know and we'll see what we can figure out.

Chris
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

KC4UMO is on a distinguished road

K, we can rule out electric fuel pump. Definitely ignition.

I take it that all connections are good.
You can start with plugs and resistor wires. Yes, cheaper ones causes noises. Even factory wires.

You could even try relocating the radio. Had this happen on a mustang and a Nissan pick up. For some reason being in line center to the cam shaft caused a noise problem. Moved the units and problem was gone. Go figure.

These problems can be nasty. I have done everything from chokes and caps to changing out the unit.

Maybe some more folks will give some advise.

KC4UMO

My Web Site
Old 03-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

WV6Z is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WV6Z

Yup, good resistor plugs, spark plug wires and maybe a couple of handfuls of ferrite beads..... I have '0' noise problems on my ICOM 207h in a '97 Trooper. I know that's of no consolation to you, but, it's nice to see another Trooper owner here!