GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Other Hobbies > Gear Head
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM

crazy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crazy
Default Got a fuel problem with my 01 GMC truck.

While out of town, my truck quit while idling during my lunch break. Skipped once, then quit. It would fire off of ether, but would not stay running. I checked all fuses and relays/breakers. Concluded it was the electric fuel pump. Took tank off, pump out, plugged it up and it would not run the 5 seconds or so it was supposed to after switch is turned on. Spent $254 that I had to borrow on a new fuel pump. New pump would not run either. Couldn't take it back, as it was electrical and now used. The pump has 4 wires going to it. 2 for the fuel gauge, 2 for the pump. I used jumper cables and new pump worked fine. I spent 3 days going through this, with my truck left sitting in a parking lot 3 hours from home. Today was Friday, and I was coming home one way or the other. The only wire I could find was #10 solid copper! But I straight wired it, no fuse or switch and it got me running.
Now I wonder what the problem really is. Has the computer died, or do I have a broken/shorted wire somewhere? I shook the entire harness while someone worked the key back and forth. My redneck repair was just to get me home. Mission accomplished. So where do I go from here? Thanx guys for the input. These models had chronic fuel pump/wire problems. But is this the case? Thanx again, Crazy
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........
Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road

I like your fix! That would be a permanent fix for some guys I know around here. Glad you got home.

Recheck the wiring with special attention to the grounds. Corroded grounds have messed me up more than once on stuff like that. Is the relay kicking on? If the relay is then you know the computer is ok and wiring is good up to that point. Check wiring from relay to pump.

If relay is not kicking in you'll have to trace from there back. It could be wiring back to the computer. Check plugs to be sure they're on tight. Unplug and reseat. Check the actual signal out of the computer. I would think if it was a computer problem you'd have more trouble that just the fuel pump. I'll bet its wiring or a connector. It would help to have a service manual or wiring diagram if you can get one. Good Luck.

Chris

Last edited by KI4RVH : 09-19-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 AM

I hadn't thought about seeing if the relay was clicking to check the computer. The WW pump and headlights uses the same relay. I can easily feel to see what it is doing. But with my fuel pump not being wired correctly, I wonder if the computer will send the current? I mean does it check for a ground, then send the current, or am I making it overly complicated? Thanks for the input. I need to figure this out.

Thanx, crazy
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........
Old 09-20-2008, 05:39 PM

Problem solved! I cut the end off the factory harness, and put on the new one supplied with the new fuel pump. Pump came on the instant that the key was turned on. Truck is running fine. I took off the battery cable to reset the computer. All warning lights went off, things look OK. I have the fuel filler hose kinked though, it is a real pain to put gas in it. I will fix that later. I have to tie up the wires now, get things real tidy. I sure am glad this battle is behind me, hopefully anyway. Thanx, crazy
Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you got it fixed! You are the man!

Chris
Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Never buy an AirTek fuel pump, from ! It went out about a year after the initial install. Got a warranteed replacement, but all I have heard from different mechanics that they are prone to problems. I know it will go out again, and I will bite the bullet and buy a GM pump if I have to. The wiring is the issue, it is a factory defect that they will not admit. After replacing the wiring around the pump with the last pump, I have had no further issues. Thanx, Crazy