Do not charge, keep doing what you been doing 2 50.00%
Yes, you should charge a fee 2 50.00%
You should not work on radios in the first place. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator

KC4UMO is on a distinguished road
Default Amateur Radio Repair

Over the years I have helped friends and thier friends fix their "broken" radios.
And never did I charge anything for my service.
And through out that time there has only been a few that were not repairable. Due to obsolete parts.

So I been thinking about expanding a little. Start doing more of it for a small fee. Seems we have so many hams that do not have the knowledge to repair their own stuff anymore. I have worked on a few newer style rigs like the Kenwood 2000 but I rather spend my time working on older equipment. Those that the manufacture no longer supports.

Comments please

KC4UMO

My Web Site
Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 AM

crazy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crazy

I think you should charge a little. Or make them help you, so they see how hard it is to troubleshoot. Just my opinion anyway.
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road

I would always charge for parts I had to purchase if any. You're time is worth something. If you start charging and get well known you could have lots of work and no spare time, but if you enjoy it that might be great. I used to work on computers on the side. I never had any free time along with that and my regular job. Some people expected a miracle for $5 too and that got old.

Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Bronze

KB3LAZ is on a distinguished road

I have a very limited knowledge of fixing radios. However if I can help I am more than happy to, only thing I would charge for would be parts.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

K0DXC is on a distinguished road
Default Don't charge

I voted that you shouldn't charge people, and you should simply keep doing what you're doing. If you are working on the radios of friends, show them kindness, work for free. It would be kind of weird to have been working on someones radios for a long time without charge and then suddenly when you finish, "Oh yeah, that'll be $100."

That would be awkward.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

K0DXC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
I have a very limited knowledge of fixing radios. However if I can help I am more than happy to, only thing I would charge for would be parts.
Good point.

Yes, I would charge if I had to pay some expense for parts. However, I would not charge them for using my time. Especially because I bet that you like fixing up radios, Buddy.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Great comments from all. Thanks.
Let me throw this in.
Last month 75 percent of the time in the shack was spent working on others radios. 25 percent was working on my on stuff (projects) and chatting on the radio.

The utility bill was 465 bucks last month. Thats 220 dollars more than normal. The bill normally runs 200 to 240. Thats house and shack.

I really have to justify spending another 200 a month to do this. I have been thinking about getting back into computer repair to offset the cost a bit. That I will defiantly charge for.

KC4UMO

My Web Site
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 PM

What is pulling all that power Buddy? I know it has been hot, but man that is extreme!
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Administrator

AC for one. It is hot man

KC4UMO

My Web Site
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 AM

It is going to be near a hundred today too. I wish fall would come, I just don't see how people can cope with the heat. Anyone working outside has my condolences and prayers.

I am inside, but have been working inside as boiler room.

Be careful guys, this heat is nothing to play with.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM

k9yli is on a distinguished road

I've been in the repair buisiness for 40 years.
the last 9 or so It was all "billable ' time. No maintanance contracts.
warranty gets to be a problem.. 30 days or 30 seconds or untill you hit 'start'

I would be very careful about charging, as then there is an 'implied warranty'' even when the new problem is no way related to the old one.

I'm a much better technician tyhan most hams around here. and I have much more test equipment, but I 'get a felling' about the person and their problem
before i commit to any thing that may come back to hauntme.
I can do the simple things and also will work on the others stuff
it they sit beside me and follow along and make decisions, especially when it gets to 'big bore shotgunning ' something.
eventually you can get to the SWAG method of troubleshooting.