Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Walk With Faith > Gods Word
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Platinum

JADE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Mom
Christmas time is when alot of lukewarm Christians (that don't otherwise really go to church, study God's Word, or celebrate with other believers) go to hear the Christmas story at a place of worship.

I always hope and pray that some seeds of truth were planted, that something warmed their heart to God's love for them individually and that they will see past the lights and the glitter to the humble beginnings of our Savior.
Exactly, and as sad as it is, sometimes that is the only time many even admit to being Christians.

We have a big church and it had a tradition of having "the Living Christmas Tree" program during Dec. When the Church moved to another location and build all brand new buildings it found that it was not set up well to do that program. So last year they created a new outreach program called "the Night of Lights". It is a hugh production and it is held outdoors. They also have lots of entertainers, snow slide, etc mostly for the young kids. They even have a Santa that gives out gifts to the young of the needy. Only they don't even call him Santa, they call him Uncle Keats toy store. So they don't treat Santa as anything more than a man in a red suit that gives toys to kids.

This is also how we as members can invite others over to this program while they are in the "Christmas" spirit and hopefully they can see that there is more to Christmas/Christians than shopping.

In my own personal situation, my kids are almost grown and they totally know the real story and have for years. My wife also understands that much of the Christmas season is really just a commercial excuse to sell and buy things.(although that doesn't break her heart any, LOL) So while our family is growing older and wiser in the true meanings of Christianity and such, none of us really want to ruin the rather odd way many Christians come to know Christ. I know that had it not been for Christmas, I probably never would have found out anything about Christ or Christianity when I was young.

So while I have no problem discussing all the true meanings and beginnings of the Christmas season here or with fellow mature Christians, I let it slide when in some unknown territory or with young children. They will learn soon enough that Jesus wasn't really born on exactly Dec. 25. I'm sure if the secular teachers had their way, they would dump that little bit of info on the kids in hopes of showing them how they have been fed with lies by fellow Christians and that the only real facts come from atheist scientists.

I question....therefore I think....I think....therefore I am....I think?