QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Walk With Faith > Gods Word
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Being Conformed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Being Conformed
Smile Another Noah Question

Hi, I have someone seeking an answer and after the last Noah and the ark question I think I burned out my brain.

How long did it take Noah to build the Ark? Can you give biblical references?

Thanks - I trying to help someone else out in finding the answer!.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road

For some reason 120 years comes to mind.
But I can't remember why!!!!!

I'll look into this tonight and let you know if I find anything.

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Well, for starters, it took less than 120 years. So scratch that theory.

Noah’s sons were already born.

Genesis 6
10 And Noah begot three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

CONTRUCTION OF THE ARK
14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.

At the time God is giving Noah instructions about the ark and the coming flood, part of the promise is for his sons also. So they must have already been born.

17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

Noah was 500 years old when he began having children.
Noah was 600 years old when the flood came.

The construction of the ark must have taken less than 100 years.

Here’s a photo of a model of the ark next to a model of a railroad cargo car & a model of the Pinta (ship that sailed with Columbus).

The model is based on a cubit being 18 inches.
If a cubit is actually larger than 18 inches, the ark would be even larger. (Some say a cubit is 20 inches or even 24 inches),

The railroad cargo car model shown in the picture represents 44 feet long and has a capacity of 2,670 cubic ft. The ark's volume was 1,518,000 cubic ft., which is equal to 569 railroad cargo cars.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Dan Bittleston is on a distinguished road

I believe this where the 120 year thesis comes from:
Ge 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Dr. Adam Clarke's Commentary
Ge 6:3
My spirit shall not always strive - It is only by the influence of the Spirit of God that the carnal mind can be subdued and destroyed; but those who willfully resist and grieve that Spirit must be ultimately left to the hardness and blindness of their own hearts, if they do not repent and turn to God. God delights in mercy, and therefore a gracious warning is given. Even at this time the earth was ripe for destruction; but God promised them one hundred and twenty years' respite: if they repented in that interim, well; if not, they should be destroyed by a flood.

Noah's sons may or may not have been born at the time God gave Noah the instructions for building the ark. God knew that Noah would have sons and that they would take to themselves wives; just as God knew that Abraham would have a son in his old age. Abraham had to wait 12 or 13 years for this to come about. It is very possible that Noah also had to wait for his sons to be born.

Also we do not know the exact chronological order that the verses are placed in. Some say they are in the order that they occurred while others say not so. It is like somebody telling you a story and then says, "oh yeah, I forgot" and go on to tell you something that happened before what they were telling you about. Kind of like Gen 6:10 might well be placed as Gen 6:21a.

Remember that God is enlightening Noah here about the future of the earth and its land-based inhabitants.

Just some thoughts.

YBIC
Dan Bittleston
Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ:.....that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel

Last edited by Dan Bittleston : 09-15-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

countryroad will become famous soon enough

That ark doesn't look much like a boat, does it?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Dan Bittleston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryroad
That ark doesn't look much like a boat, does it?
It wasn't supposed to go any place, just float!!! Therefore the box like design. Kind of like an enclosed barge.

YBIC
Dan Bittleston
Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Put an Evenrude or a Mercury on that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZOOM ZOOM

Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

Esther is on a distinguished road

Don't know the validity of this info. but found it on Yahoo.

Quote:
How long did it take Noah to build the ark?
Q. How long did it take Noah to build the ark? A lot of people say 120 years but I can find no scripture to back this up. All I can find is that after Noah was 500 years old he became the father of Shem, Ham & Japheth. - Genesis 5:32. Genesis 7:11 tells us that Noah was 600 years 2 months, & 17 days old when the flood came. This leads me to believe that 70 to 80 years is more accurate than 120 years.

(Submitted by: M. S. )

A. There is nowhere in Scripture that supports the 120 years for the construction of the ark. That span of time concerns the time God allowed mankind to live, from the time He made His pronouncement, to the flood - Genesis 6:3. God set a time limit (120 years), just in case humans would repent. God has used this principle again and again. Jonah 3:9-10 is a good example. It also gave Noah time to preach the ways of righteousness to the same end.

In Genesis 6:13-16 we find God's instructions for building the ark, but there is no inkling as to when the works began neither the duration of the construction. Other biblical references to Noah and the ark are found in I Peter 3:19-20 and Hebrews 11:7. Again, no mention of the time the ark was built.

I find nothing about it in the Internet, on the accounts of Noah and the ark. Even the book of Jubilees is silent on this detail, and so is Josephus.
http://www.biblestudy.org/question/noahark.html

Quote:
How long did it take Noah to build the ark? How long was Noah on the ark?

Question: "How long did it take Noah to build the ark? How long was Noah on the ark?"

Answer: How long did it take Noah to build the ark? The Bible does not specifically say how long it took Noah to build the ark. When Noah is first mentioned in Genesis 5:32, he was 500 years old. When Noah entered the ark, he was 600 years old. The time it took to build the ark would depend on how much time had passed between Genesis 5:32 and the time that God commanded Noah to build the ark (Genesis 6:14-21). At the absolute most, it took 100 years.

How long was Noah on the ark? Noah entered the ark in the 600th year of his life, on the 17th day of the 2nd month (Genesis 7:11-13). Noah left the ark on the 27th day of the 2nd month of the following year (Genesis 8:14-15). Therefore, assuming a lunar calendar of 360 days, Noah was on the ark for approximately 370 days.

How many of each type of animal did Noah take on the ark? Seven of each kind of clean animal and two of each kind of other animals were taken on the ark (Genesis 6:19-20; 7:2-3). By “clean” the Bible means animals that were "acceptable for sacrifice." That is why seven of the clean animals were taken – so they could be sacrificed after the Flood was over. Obviously if there were only two of an animal, a male and a female, and one was sacrificed - that species of animal would become extinct.

How many people were on Noah's ark? According to Genesis chapters 6-8, Noah, his wife, Noah's three sons (Shem, Ham, and Japheth), and their wives were on the ark. Therefore, there were eight people on the ark.

Who was Noah's wife? The Bible nowhere specifically gives us the name or identity of Noah's wife. There is a tradition that she was Naamah (Genesis 4:22). While possible, this is not explicitly taught in the Bible.

Recommended Resource: The Genesis Flood by Henry Morris and John Whitcomb.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Noahs-ark-questions.html
Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Bronze

Watchman is on a distinguished road

Just to exercize your thought processes, I offer the following. A reference quoted said:

How many people were on Noah's ark? According to Genesis chapters 6-8, Noah, his wife, Noah's three sons (Shem, Ham, and Japheth), and their wives were on the ark. Therefore, there were eight people on the ark.

Personally, I disagree with that statement. I agree that there were eight ADAMIC persons on the Ark, but Let me tell you why I know there were others:

1) The presence on the earth of the various races BEFORE and AFTER the flood, including the Kenites, or children of Cain.

2) We are all familiar with man's account of the flood. Most have been taught by man's understanding that all of mankind except Noah and seven others were destroyed, and as a corollary to this, all of the present day races originated with Noah's children. Not only is this teaching absurd to anyone who will use their own brain, it is in itself AN ADMISSION BY CHRISTIANS THAT EVOLUTION IS TRUE.

What is meant by this statement is that many of man's favorite commentaries state "environmental factors must have played a role in the present skin color and physical attributes of the many races." This is blatant admission BY "CHRISTIANS" that man mutates just like the evolutionists claim he does.

Now, we find
Gen 6:9
9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. (KJV)

The phrase 'perfect in his generations' means, quite simply, that Noah had not mixed with these fallen ones, and had a clean "pedigree" going back to Adam, 'the seed of the woman'. The Hebrew is two words,

Strong's # 8549 tamiym (taw-meem'); from 8552; entire (literally, figuratively or morally); also (as noun) integrity, truth: KJV-- without blemish, complete, full, perfect, sincerely (-ity), sound, without spot, undefiled, upright (-ly), whole. and,

Strong's # 8435 towledah (to-led-aw'); or toledah (to-led-aw'); from 3205; (plural only) descent, i.e. family; (figuratively) history: KJV-- birth, generations.

Now we should see a very special point. Because Noah was pure Adamic, his wife and children were also. They apparently were THE LAST ones of Adamic man that was of pure pedigree. (vv 9-10) If God's mission was to preserve the seedline in a pure sense until the birth of Messiah (Gen 3:15) THEN HOW COULD NOAH'S CHILDREN BEGET OTHER RACES? They obviously could not, else they could not have been pure to start with. God's Word says they were of pure linage. Throughout Gen chapter 1, God also said KIND after KIND-- remember? ALL of NOAH's Children as well as their offspring were therefore pure Adamic.

God's Word does not even conceive the thought that man physically mutates. I.e. Gen 2:21 "And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; (KJV) The word here translated 'ribs' is H6763, 'tsela' which is from the root word Strong's # 6760 tsala` (tsaw-lah'); a primitive root: probably to curve; used only as denominative from 6763, to limp (as if one-sided): KJV-- halt. (DIC)

This is particularly interesting in light of the account of the FORMING of Eve; For example, as we see in the creation of the sixth day peoples in Gen 1:27, both male and female were CREATED by God, and at the same time. In the eighth day FORMING of Adam, however, it is quite clear that originally Adam was alone, and God made special plants and animals for him BEFORE the female EVE was brought forth. As we see in verses 2:21-22, apparently Eve was created from the SAME DNA that Adam posessed. This Hebrew word 'curve' thus brings to mind the familiar picture of the 'curve' present in the DNA double helix of all mankind. This DNA strand thus carries the genetic signature determining the PHYSICAL characteristics of every subsequent generation of offspring. KIND AFTER KIND.

God created the races, just as it pleased Him. He loved each of them very much. He blessed them (1:28). God gave them all of His creation to possess. (1:29-30) God was very pleased with them, just as He created them (1:31). So am I. The reason for stressing the separate identity of the races and their creation before the flood is to present the fact that the races are still here. Somehow, they got thru.

Think a moment on Cain's offspring, the Kenites. We can trace them from their flesh father, Cain (Gen 4), to Gen 15:19, through Numbers (24:21), Judges (1:16), 1 Chronicles (2:55), Jeremiah (ch 35, all) to John (8:44) and finally to Revelation (2:9 & 3:9). We may identify them by using the Strong's dictionary to see that the english words 'cain' and 'kenite' is the single Hebrew word:

Strong's # 7014 Qayin (kah'-yin); the same as 7013 (with a play upon the affinity to 7069); Kajin, the name of the first child, also of a place in Palestine, and of an Oriental tribe: KJV-- Cain, Kenite (-s). (DIC)

This fact is important to keep this in mind as we discuss the flood, because the WORD is clear: The Kenites somehow got on this side of the flood. Likewise the various races came through the flood. They are all with us today, aren't they?

Before we look at how God's Word itself tells us how the kenites and the other races got thru the flood, (yes it is written right here in Genesis) let us first ask ourselves some questions.

God himself promised a sevenfold punishment on anyone who killed Cain; Gen 4:15 " And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him." He (God) even put a protective 'mark' on Cain to protect him! Given this fact,

1) Would God Himself then kill Cain or his progeny with the flood? Cain was already guilty of unrepentant murder and blasphemy in Gen 4:15. For God to kill Cain, God would have to go back on His Word. This is not a possibility, because;

2) God promised Cain's father (Satan) that God "would place enmity between the seed of the woman and his (Satan's) seed." (Gen 3:15) The word 'seed' is 'zara', or offspring - see Strong's H#2233. For this to be true, as all of God's Word is, BOTH the seed of Satan (Cain) and the seed of the woman must exist on both sides of the flood, and does, in fact as we have already shown, to this day.

The Word clearly teaches that the Salvation offered by God through His Son Jesus is universally applicable to all mankind. Jesus is thus our 'Ark'. We should also therefore see that God provided an ark for mankind via the hands of Noah, and this ark saved all mankind. In like manner, God uses teachers today, and sometimes in as strange a manner as the ark of Noah must have seemed to those peoples. The Word also states 'God never changes' (Ps 102:27), and that 'Jesus is the same forever' (Heb 13:8). Yes my friends, God is true. So is His Word. ALL of it.

Let us now look with open eyes into Gen chapter 6. We will first show the REASON for the flood. Although it is true that man was (and is also today) full of sin against God, there was a very special kind of sin being committed. Not only was man sinful, but the purity of Adams seedline was virtually gone. If this seedline were to become totally corrupted, then God's promise of Gen 3:15 would fail, for there would be none of Adam's seed left to fulfill the promise. Keep this thought in mind as we continue.

Notice verse 7 of Genesis 6. "And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." Here God apparently says He will destroy the complete creation, man and beast. Did He do it? Of course not. The word 'said' is

Strong's # 559 'amar (aw-mar'); a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude): KJV-- answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boastself, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command (-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use [speech], utter, X verily, X yet.

Ok. If this is the case, then HOW did the kenites and the sixth day creation get through the flood? Answer--- On the Ark. The same way any person will be saved today. On the ark of God, Jesus.

Look if you will at Gen 6:3 "And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. (KJV)

Notice the phrase 'he also is flesh'. It is most important for what follows. Man is declared to be flesh, which should be no big deal. EXCEPT-- Look at the instructions God gave Noah in Gen 6:19 "And of every living thing of ALL FLESH, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female." Not ONLY here, but in EVERY subsequent passage (7:16,7:23, 8:17), God repeats it: "TWO OF ALL FLESH", the male and his female.

Just like God combines all flesh in Gen 6:7 "And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.", He combines them when He instructs Noah. Is this so hard to understand?

The flood story just would not be complete unless we refute another lie of man. What have you heard from the cemeteries about the nature or skin color of Canaan, the son of Ham? What have you been taught about the nature of Ham's sin?

We see the first mention of this fellow Canaan in Gen 9:18. It seems seems out of context, placed here. Noah as we see in 9:25 curses this fellow Canaan because of what his father, Ham, did. Does this seem strange to you? It should the way man presents the story. Why should a son get the blame for what a father did? This is totally against God's Will. See the whole chapter of Eze 18, as well as Deu 24:16 "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." (KJV)

Well, God did not curse Canaan. Noah his grandfather did. Why would Noah curse this first born after all the death he had just witnessed?

As it turns out, this Canaan was an incestuous son, born of Ham and his mother, Noah's wife. Preposterous, you say? No my friend, truth.

Noah made wine, and got drunk. He was living it up after the year he had just been through, and Noah let down his guard. (Gen 9:20-21) Here we see a strange (to us) thing. Gen 9:22 "And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. (KJV)"

What is the sin, we ask, dumbfounded. What is so sinful about seeing a drunk old man lying naked? Now the cemetery teachers will say things like, Ham 'laughed at him', or 'Ham was a homosexual', or 'Ham had no respect', or something equally absurd. The Hebrew phrase "to uncover your fathers nakedness" has a very special meaning. Let us look at Lev 18:8

"The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness. (KJV)" Well, you say, that is perhaps a suggestion, but I don't know...

Ok, How about Lev 20:11 "And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (KJV)"

Is that language plain enough?

According to the Word, Canaan was an incestuous offspring. OK, now let me ask you what RACE Canaan was? Was he black, red, yellow, white, brown, or adamic? If you answered 'adamic', go to the head of the class. Of course Canaan was adamic, because BOTH of his parents were, and they were just like Noah, 'perfect in their pedigree' (Gen 6:9-10) from Adam, the eighth day man.

Pay special attention to these "Canaanites", as you study the Word. They gave Abraham and Israel a lot of trouble for a long time. When Abraham came to the promised land God showed him, "The Caananite was then in the land" (Gen 12:6). The Israelites under Joshua destroyed many of them, but some joined with the Kenites, and had completely taken over the temple service by the time the second ADAM, Jesus came. They killed Him. They are joined with the ones today who give our true brother Judah a hard time, (Judges 1:16, Gen 12:6)

Rev 2:9 "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. (KJV)"

Rev 3:9 "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee."

Only these two of the seven churches recieved no condemnation from our LORD. Look at what they recognized. They knew who the kenites were.

Do you? Does your "church" teach about them?

God's Truth, my friends, is much stranger than man's fiction.

God Bless You!!!