GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > Walk With Faith > Spiritual Chat (Christian Only)
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Being Conformed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Being Conformed
Default Parent, your help please!

I realize that many of you who have young ones do home schooling. This is for any parent who is or has been there.

I work for a cleaning company, the type of facilities that I'm currently assigned to are pre-schools.

The cleaning company decides the amount of time and labor is necessary for any/all jobs they send their employees to.

Therefore, what I am asking you is 'when'/'if' you were checking out a pre-school or your child was/has attended what are the things that you look for in regard to cleanliness and sanitation?

Could you specify also what age - for example "infants" who crawl on the floor up 4 y/o.

p.s. Some areas I'm curious about - trash can lids, toilets, floors, carpets, sinks, dust on blinds, sills......

(Toy's are excluded as that is not in my area)

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Visiting Admin/Moderator

Invisible_2_no1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Invisible_2_no1

Well, I can tell you as the mommy of a 1 year old that still crawls, only occassionally walks, the floor in the nursery at church is horrendous. I don't bring him in there for that reason.

Stains on the carpet mostly...they need to be steam cleaned or something.

Sinks, those need to be clean. It just looks "dirty" if they aren't sparkling.
My 3rd and 1st graders wash their hands (hopefully) and how awful to have them touching a slimy sink.

Also, overflowing trash really bugs me, especially if it smells. For any age.

Another pet peeve for me regarding sanitation is bathrooms that have a smell. If it isn't totally sparkling, and stinks, well, is just "feels" dirtier to me. Most of the germs that kids get (that aren't babies) are from bathrooms. The floor especially.

Doorknobs, toilet handles, sink handles, dryer levers, all those things that look grimy are breeding places for germs and the kids touch all of that stuff not paying attention.

Hope that helps ya some!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum

JADE is on a distinguished road

Sadly I am all to aware of these things. As you might have gathered from my other posts, the last 12 years I was a QA(quality assurance) inspector for the DOD military housing. So one of my duties was inspecting the cleaning done by our contractors in the military hsg during COM(change of occupancies), and the Gov't facilities(which did include some child care facilities also).

Since I was a firm inspector, had specifically written contracts, and had good and fairly well paid contractors, I could expect good results. We had control and oversight and so they cleaned all areas and especially the child care facilities. So I know it can be done if it is taken seriously and money and manpower is sufficient.

That being said, I am appalled at the cleaning at most schools, churches and child care facilities. And I think that is from exactly the opposite reason why ours was so good. They lack oversight, money and manpower. And in the churches case, probably too forgiving and accepting of substandard work by volunteers, low paid employees and folks with sob stories.

My kids did go to a church preschool and while they got better attention, love, disciple, and education, it was obvious they lacked in the cleanliness department. I know it is difficult with all these little monsters running around, but I think they and all child care facilities should budget for serious cleaning. During this time of year the kids were getting sick in alarming percentages and it was obvious again that it was due to the spred of germs through the facililty and all the toys being handled without cleaning.

I don't know if that helps you any, but its a view from an ex professional(now retired) and ex concerned parent.(kids no longer in child care or at that grubby age)

I question....therefore I think....I think....therefore I am....I think?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Talking

Thanks for your responses and I hope to get more. I'll be rather blunt here about conditions I've seen and some gender comments not inclusive of all of that gender.

Here is my situation of the contracted or (post)contracted preschools I've been assigned to we are alloted only so many hours to clean. I currently work with another female. We are not getting the job done in the alloted time. Well, so we clock out (done by phone) and then continue working until it is done. She and I are both germ freaks - we are detail cleaners and don't like cutting corners. Problem is there maybe some areas we can not focus so much time on and I'm sure we could both learn some quick tips which we've been trying. I've worked wth several different partners and each are different. I've had some who will take the rag used to clean the toilet and wipe down the sink afterward.

One issue that I overlooked in my effort to do the job well and not cheat my employer was that by continuing to work after being clocked out I am violating the rules by remaining on the property plus if I were to get injured there would be insurance/work comp issues.

JAM - I fully understand what you are saying that if it looks clean and shiny and doesn't smell - it gives the impression that it is clean. I used to feel that way before I started doing this type of work. I'm not saying tis not the case in many situations, but after seeing the things I have I never look at even a clean public restroom the same anymore - lol.

In the nursery we use an industrial (whoopee) swifler and clean the pad each night. As far as shiny - yes - it looks so much 'cleaner' but I could go in and not use the disinfectant and just use the 'silver cleaner' it will look clean but not be disinfected. Whether adult or the childrens sinks - I clean with disintfectant and especially the faucets and the soap dispensers. I clean the toilets including the handle and the locks/handles on the doors.

Just like everything - it gets dirty and must be cleaned. Yet, these children are there all day long and especially in the little boys room they wee wee all over the tops of the seat and then sit on them. So, even though I come in at nite and clean it they are being exposed all day long. Does that make sense???? Just like the trash cans -some rooms have 3 and I go in and find 1 overflowing and stuff on the floor while maybe one or two items are in the other cans? (Go figure) I usually clean the lids nitely - but if this is an area I can do less frequent it will save me time.

As far as the smell, Well one preschool was older and what happened was it was never cleaned properly that it abosorbed into the linoleum and all. Despite using deodorizer and a brush nothing short of replacing the flooring would help. The toilets were clean.

Now, this past week I worked at a different facility which is newer and has less enrollment. Therefore, they have a cleaning person come in 3x's/week this facility is just as large and a day is being skipped. (they do take out the trash and do wipe down the toilets/sinks on those days). Bottom line - is the cleaning company only has 1 person do that job and that 1 person is supposed to complete the entire job 2 hours shorter than the other schools?
Where is the logic?

So, that is what's going on and where I stand so I'm trying to see where I can cut areas in order to complete the job in the time frame and yet have it as sanitiary as possible.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Platinum

Without QAing your work at the particular site, I could not be able to see where you may "cut corners" (not a good word but gets the point across). I know when I inspected we had the same situations and issues you speak of. So when one has a new site with new tile or flooring, they may be able to get by with a quick damp mop cleaning inbetween more detailed cleanings. And old sites usually never look good no matter what you do, but they can be clean and sterile.

You are also correct in your concern about liabilities and such if you are working after you have clocked out. We ran into that a few times too. One guy didn't finish installing a countertop during work hours but had already used up his allotted hours that week. So he came in on the weekend to finish and was off the clock. He did a poor job and I rejected his work. Since it was done after hours he knew he was in trouble with his boss already so he absorbed the cost of the countertop and rework on his own. So luckily he was only out a couple hundred dollars instead of a job. Had he got hurt working on his own, I know for a fact that his company would have just left him hanging.

So be careful when doing these things. I don't know your company, superviser, or they policies, but some will listen to their employees. Just don't go there with a complaint though, go there with a solution and something to back you up.

There is a great little book called, "Clean in a Minute" by Don Aslett. It might help you streamline your work and might also help you to pose a good solution to you boss. Show him that you are making all attempts to complete the work in the allotted time and perform to maximum efficiency and cleanliness. Then if what you have done to do a better job still falls short by time or materials, be specific in what areas you need help in.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Great advice Mr. Q&A The cleaning company is willing to settle for less - as I said several of other workers don't do the majority of the detail and sanitizing. Men, for the most part can lift heavier stuff and mop faster. Height makes a major difference I'm only 5'5".

I know 'cutting corners' is not a great term but it's one my boss uses.
My issue is that I do care and if you do want it done properly then it takes more time.

So, I was trying to get an idea of those areas that would be less of an issue if it were your child.

:littleang
Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum

Quote:
So, I was trying to get an idea of those areas that would be less of an issue if it were your child.

If I was a child I could care less, kids by nature are little pigs. :rofl

But as a parent I do care and as Esther said at CWS, if you can eat off of it then it reaches her standards. Since the kids will eat most anything off the floor and other places we adults would shreak at, child care facilities have to be put on a higher level than lets say a gas station restroom.

So I don't really think there is any corners that can be cut, but maybe some areas that can be rearranged as to level and frequency. For one, things that are high and out of reach can be done weekly or monthly with no real problem. Maybe even less often than that if you know the area well. So if you are able to cut that back, you can spend more time on the stuff within reach of the kids.

Give me an idea of what you guys are required to do, how often and whatever. But even if I can see some areas to manipulate, it is still you that knows best what that individual facility needs.

One thing with child care facilities is mostly that any area the kids can reach or get to, needs to be cleaned daily. Because they do get heavy use.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If I was a child I could care less, kids by nature are little pigs.
But I thought you were a child JADE?

Okay, I understand that about if you can't eat off of it.... Sorry, as an adult I can bleach my trash can but I still am not going to eat off of it nor if I drop food on/in it will I eat it - LOL!

Hey, I do a excellent job thank you! That is why it takes me so long.
Now, each pre-school was picky about different things.

Yes, kids are little pigs and all that jazz. I don't have control over certain things.

My point is say the 4 y/o's are allowed to go near the trash cans during the day. They are picking up the germs then even If I sterilized it the previous nite. A child goes to the potty touches the seat that another child just went wee wee all over then washes his/her hands - YUCK!

So you get my point that most stuff will occur during the day. (Each facility is different too in what they want)

Daily - we are to take out all the trash/diapers, disinfect sinks/toilets/water fountains. Stock new paper towels/tp/soap. Spread dust mites - I mean dust mop - lol, vacuum all carpets. Nursery gets either clean mophead or the swifler. Mop all the floors. Mirrors, windows just wipe smudgies. Do Windows on the front doors. Empty kitchen sinks and wipe them down.

Weekly - Low dust, shelves sills etc., do cartwheels j/k, light switches, door handles (unless they really need it) I'm sure there is something else - :rofl

Monthly clean vents, blinds, usually we have a 'special day' like we went in and clean the trash cans out.

By law they have to have soap water, rinse water and bleach water and they are to disinfect the toys and tables ....

The facility I'm doing by myself now is killing me, for one it's a newer building and there is still construction dust that buids up.

Well that's the basics, I usually clean the trash can lids and diaper pail lids - my coworker doesn't c'set le vie.

Light switches/door handles weekly unless needed more. High dust blinds (have to look) vents 1x/month, shelves 1x/week.
Low
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Okay, I just posted after your last post JADE when I click on this thread I can see it but when I view the forum as a whole it looks as if you are the last poster - so I should have a post before this one! :nond
Old 11-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Platinum

Your schedule looks rather common and so unless there is something you see something at that particular facility that you can "cut corners" on, it looks like you'll have to look at the process and not the work requirements.

But you are right that no matter what you do, the kids are going to mess it up quickly and they will have germs all over the place before you get back to reclean again. Nothing you can do about that. You are only responsible to get rid of yesterday's germs. You can't follow them around like that nurse on Monk. :rofl

But if you are doing everything that is required and doing it in the most efficient way and still need more time to complete the task, then you do need to talk to the boss. Usually the supervisor does surprise or periodic visits to see how things are going. If they are unreasonable or they underbid the contract, you have problems. If not, maybe they'll do some adjustments.

I don't envy your work, its hard, fast paced and usually very thankless. I treated our contractors' employees with respect because I believe they are the backbone of the companies. But some of my fellow inspectors, mostly the ones that have never had to do manual labor, weren't so respectful. So do your best and I pray things work out for you. Maybe start looking into having your own cleaning company(then you're the boss and you get to see things from another perspective.) Frankly, I'm not sure which side is better or less stressful.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Talking

I was looking into doing private cleaning but around here 'everyone' does - lol

I'm just going wear roller skates and dust pads on my arms ...

Maybe the fire hose would be the best solution :rofl
Old 11-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Sissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being Conformed
I'm just going wear roller skates and dust pads on my arms ...
That's so funny that you said that!
One time my sister could not find the mop, and she wrapped wet towels around her feet and scrubbed the kitchen floor.
It was so funny to watch and she looked like she was having fun doing it!
So much so, that I joined her!!!
It was a blast!

:jum

Look for the good in people. And let the good in you be visible to them.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Platinum

Thats actually how Mom got her floors buffed. After she waxed them and let them dry. She would put wool socks on our feet and we made like we were on the ice and skated to our little hearts content. I guess that was kinda common back then, but one never hears of it anymore.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADE
Thats actually how Mom got her floors buffed. After she waxed them and let them dry. She would put wool socks on our feet and we made like we were on the ice and skated to our little hearts content. I guess that was kinda common back then, but one never hears of it anymore.
So true (it dates us too) the younger generation never heard of a lot of ways the 'older generation' cleaned and the methods they used worked so well. That is techology for you.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

An update.......

I laid down the law (lol) a couple of weeks ago with my supervisor - I contacted her and informed her that I cannot continue on at the facility she has me TEMPORARILY assigned and that I would finish out the rest of this year.
We discussed over and over the 'illogic' of one person being able to complete the same square feet and job duties in less alloted time than the other facility where two employees worked as a team. The answers were always changing.

I also informed her that for my health I cannot continue - my back is strained and my sciatic nerve is affecting my knee (in addtion to tendonitis in my elbow).

So...... :jum

I have to go finish up some work out there this weekend (school was closed this past week and painters came in) I return to the previous facility with my agnostic (and other issues) co-worker. I can handle that though!

Ahhh, maybe I can start getting to sleep at a decent hour and not be under so much physical and mental stress and irregular sleep patterns!