GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum  
QRZ callsign lookup:

Go Back   GoKarters.Com ___Hobby Forum > General Forum > Debate Forum
FAQChatBox Full Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

KI4RVH is on a distinguished road
Default Drilling for Oil off our coast

Bush today said he was going to push again for drilling oil off our coast. Rep. Sue Myrick of NC has been pushing for it as well. We are the only industrialized Nation that has a coast that doesn't drill off of it. In recent times we've not heard about any problems with spills and what not with drilling off the coast of Texas. Some groups say there is minimal risk. Others say it will destroy the environment. Do you think drilling is a good idea and will it help solve our problems? It sounds good to me. What does everyone else think?

Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

WV6Z is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WV6Z

Not to worry, Obama immediately said he will not allow it to happen due to the risk of the environmental impacts.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Bronze

KB3LAZ is on a distinguished road

I dont think it would cause any problems.
These Eco conservative nuts are to high strung.
Now will it help out with the price of gas, not likely.
Well at least not for quite awhile.
Even when and if it does help out I doubt it will be more than marginal.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

Kinda sounds like the right time to do a little research in to alternative fuels to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDTDSGZK0s

Version II is on the drawing board right now......
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV6Z View Post
Not to worry, Obama immediately said he will not allow it to happen due to the risk of the environmental impacts.
I don't think Obama is going to win. I'm one of those religious people with guns that scare him. Theres quite a few of us that won't vote for him. I'm not a great big fan of McCain but I'll vote for him before I vote for Obama. I wish we had a third good choice, but oh well.

Chris
Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

We can grow Sugar cane right here in NC and SC.

Chris

*NOTE* Oooops, sorry Chris, I didn't mean to edit your post,only quote it to say 'And sugar cane beats the daylights out of corn with regard to alcohol production.'

Last edited by WV6Z : 06-19-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
I dont think it would cause any problems.
These Eco conservative nuts are to high strung.
Now will it help out with the price of gas, not likely.
Well at least not for quite awhile.
Even when and if it does help out I doubt it will be more than marginal.
You got a point about it not helping the price any time soon. It would take a long time for us to produce enough to where we could cut off the middle east. And by then the public may be so used to high prices that the oil companies could just keep the price high. We're screwed either way aren't we?

Chris
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

K0DXC is on a distinguished road

I think we need to drill for oil off coast. If we don't, our children's future will be harsh.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI4RVH View Post
We can grow Sugar cane right here in NC and SC.

Chris

*NOTE* Oooops, sorry Chris, I didn't mean to edit your post,only quote it to say 'And sugar cane beats the daylights out of corn with regard to alcohol production.'
No big deal Cal. I've almost done it myself. I was just saying that there was a country and SOuth America that runs the whole country on Sugar Cane gas and they depend on no one else for fuel.

Chris
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Can't blame that one on Cal, either, I was the one that messed up.

I do agree though sugar cane is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0DXC View Post
I think we need to drill for oil off coast. If we don't, our children's future will be harsh.
Its gonna be that way no matter what we do.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Bronze

Quote:
Kinda sounds like the right time to do a little research in to alternative fuels to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDTDSGZK0s

Version II is on the drawing board right now......

This is true as well, however as long as there is a profit in oil this will never happen. It may be explored but it will not be put into mass production until there is no other choice.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Can't blame that one on Cal, either, I was the one that messed up.

I do agree though sugar cane is the way to go.
Thats all right Tom. I forgive you!

Chris
Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 PM

crazy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU0DM View Post
Plus there are many environmental and personal risks to drilling off shore, drilling for oil as it is isn't safe, now doing that over water makes it riskier. Plus in the Gulf to boot! Imagine what happens if a big hurricane comes through, those platforms could easily be heavily damaged, OR destroyed by the power of storms. It's like playing in the freeway.

When Katrina came through the gulf, and there was no (or little damage), that proved that drilling was safer now than ever, and that convinced me to support it. If not, Cuba will get better at slant drilling and take it from us anyway. Might as well use it ourselves first. IMO.

crazy
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM

crazy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crazy

Read what the US energy Secretary says about the oil prices. It seems that supply is more of a factor than stock market speculation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080621/...udi_oil_summit

JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia - The U.S. energy secretary said Saturday that insufficient oil production, not financial speculation, was driving soaring crude prices.

Secretary Samuel Bodman's comments on the eve of an energy summit in the Saudi port city of Jiddah set the stage for a showdown between the U.S. and conference host Saudi Arabia, which has largely blamed speculation in the oil markets for record prices.

The U.S. and many other Western nations have put increasing pressure on Saudi Arabia, the world's top oil exporter, to increase production. Saudi officials have been hesitant to do so, arguing that soaring prices have not been caused by a shortage of supply.

Bodman disputed that assertion Saturday, saying oil production has not kept pace with growing demand, especially from developing countries like China and India.

"Market fundamentals show us that production has not kept pace with growing demand for oil, resulting in increasing prices and increasingly volatile prices," Bodman told reporters. "There is no evidence that we can find that speculators are driving futures prices" for oil.

He said commodities markets have experienced a huge influx of money from financial investors in recent years, but they have been following the market upward rather than driving the increase in the price of oil.

Saudi Arabia called the unusual meeting in Jiddah between oil producing and consuming nations as a way to show that it was not deaf to international cries that high oil prices have caused social and economic turmoil.

The Gulf nation has also become increasingly concerned that record oil prices could hinder growth in the U.S. and other major industrialized economies, potentially leading to a decline in oil demand and a sharp drop-off in prices.

While Saudi Arabia has been reluctant to drastically increase production, it has announced several small increases recently that it says were made to satisfy increased customer demand. The country has consistently said that it will produce enough oil to ensure the market is supplied.

The kingdom increased oil production by 300,000 barrels a day in May, and a Saudi official confirmed Saturday that the country would add another 200,000 barrels a day in July. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi also confirmed the increase ahead of the conference. But neither announcement has done much to stem the run-up in the price of oil, which closed near $135 on Friday.

Saudi assistant oil minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, told a news conference Saturday that the delegates were "congregating to achieve results" and try to draw "a collective way forward for how to attend to this situation."

"This situation as we see it today as it exists needs everybody's attention simply because it no longer is a luxury to talk about it or ... to keep bouncing back and forth blame," he added.

The prince said that Saudi Arabia has been working with several international organizations to put together a background paper to focus Sunday's discussions and reiterated that the kingdom was ready to meet demand from its customers and foster stable prices.

He said it would be "wrong" to judge the success of the meeting by oil prices the day after it ends.

Many countries around the world have experienced social unrest by populations angry that rising fuel prices have driven significant increases in the cost of food and other basic goods.

Bodman said that every 1 percent increase in the demand for oil requires a 20 percent rise in price to balance the market. Demand in China, India and the Middle East has been soaring in recent years as the countries consume more energy to fuel economic growth.

Rising demand in the developing world has coincided with historically low levels of spare oil production capacity, which fell below two million barrels per day among OPEC countries in May for the first time since the third quarter of 2006, according to the International Energy Agency.

Bodman made clear that the responsibility for reducing oil prices did not simply fall on the shoulders of producing nations, saying consuming countries must increase energy efficiency and invest in the development of alternative fuels. But he saved his strongest words for oil producers like Saudi Arabia, who he said must step up long-term investment in production and spare capacity.

"The incentive (for investing) is simply reasonable prices so that we're not faced with having to drop everything and race to Jiddah for a meeting that was called on a week's notice," said Bodman.

Saudi Arabia is completing a $50 billion plan to increase capacity to 12.5 million barrels a day but has signaled it would not go beyond that.

CNBC said Saturday that Saudi Arabia's current capacity is 11.3 million barrels per day, quoting al-Naimi's adviser, Ibrahim al-Muhanna. Previous estimates by the International Energy Agency put current Saudi capacity at about 10.7 million barrels per day. The kingdom currently produces about 9.5 million barrels per day.

___

Associated Press Writer Donna Abu Nasr contributed to this report.
If you don't stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that's what I thought..........